Tuesday 15 January 2013

Hajj Reflection #22: Travelling 'alone'



You are NEVER alone. This entry is especially for those who do not have a spouse or friend to go for hajj with. Do not fret, for Allah is always with us, just as Allah had said to our Prophet:


O Prophet, sufficient for you is Allah and for whoever follows you of the believers. 
Al Anfal: 64
 
After the demise of my husband in 2007, I sought advice from those more knowledgeable and pious, whether it was permissible for me to perform my hajj without a mahram. Once satisfied with the answer that I could, I was more than adamant to go. However, friends and relatives were a bit dubious about it, "You're going ALONE?"

In my humble opinion, I knew that I would never be alone. Firstly, physically, I would be amongst the other ladies in the group I would be going with. Secondly, spiritually, I would have Allah everywhere I go, especially when I am in His House, in the Holy land, subhanAllah... If I sought His help, guidance and rahmah, surely He would look after me and protect me from any evil or harm because He is our Lord the Almighty!

Once, I met a Malay woman who prayed next to me while waiting for Zohr. After we had completed our solat sunats, she told me that she was lost and whether I could help her. She was not familiar with that part of the mosque as her hotel was in the opposite direction from mine. Apparently, on that day she had decided to perform her tawaf sunat with her group members (following a mutawwif) instead of with her husband. Upon completing her tawaf, she realized that she had somehow gone off track and lost her group.  She began to panic. She had always relied on her husband so she really didn't know her way around the mosque.

I was stunned to hear her story. I had heard about people losing their ways in the mosque and here was one, sitting in front of me. For me, the kaabah is the compass that helps us know our bearings. "Which part of the kaabah do you see, upon entering the masjid everyday?" I asked. She said she didn't know. She always followed her husband. Her husband would know.

Alhamdulillah, she had written down her husband's mobile number in her notebook (her mobile phone had run out of battery). Hence, I lent her my mobile phone for her to call her husband, asking him to pick her up at Bab AlFath, door no.42 after Zohr. She was ever so thankful to me and even offered a couple of riyals for allowing her to make the call. I asked her to keep it and told her that she need not feel afraid and scared because she was in Allah's special House, Masjidil Haram! Ask for His help and He will help you!

Thus if you think that it will be difficult for you to travel to the Holy Lands without knowing anyone beforehand, think again.  Physically, Allah always guides and protects us by granting us with a 'supportive authority' (Al Isra: 80) in the form of friends, acquaintances and strangers.  He had blessed me with excellent companions, group members and roommates, Alhamdulillah.  

Alone? Never, in syaAllah!

No comments: