Wednesday 16 January 2013

Hajj Reflection #23: Helping the blessed elderly



Many people perform their hajj at the later stage of their lives simply because that's when they are more spiritually prepared. Furthermore, the wait has allowed them to make the necessary financial savings for the trip.

In general, most of the hujjaj in our group were above 50 years old. Comparatively, I was considered young even though there were younger couples in the group. Furthermore, going 'alone' meant I was able to help those who were in need of assistance as there was quite a number of elderly widows within the group.

The experience of going for hajj with them was humbling as it taught me to appreciate the fragility of life. It taught me patience, tolerance and love. Some were inexperienced, some suffered various conditions (gastritis, cancer, etc.), some needed a boost of confidence while some others needed constant motivation. So Allah willed me to help them whenever I could: a hand to the mosque or shops, a lead during tawaf or even an ear to hear their woes. Thus, Allah programmed that each of us became companions to the other, subhanAllah! We were not alone!

A few of them have gained a warm spot in my heart. They have become like sisters or mothers to me. Although some may live miles away, technology connects us and I know that I will cherish the special ukhwah built in the name of Allah.

N.B.   May Allah forgive my sins and accept my ibadah, as well as protect me from any evil...

No comments: