Tuesday 22 January 2013

Hajj Reflection #26: The cemeteries in Haramain


Never forget to pay your respects to the martyrs, companions and solehins by visiting the Ma'ala and Baqi' cemeteries in Makkah and Madinah respectively.  Cemeteries are not places of worship, but are places that humble us and remind us how fragile life really is.


In Ma'ala, we were pointed out Saidatina Khadijah's burial spot, where a tree could be seen growing next to it. No one admitted planting the tree there, thus it must have grown on its own; as if to shade Saidatina Khadijah's burial ground - MasyaAllah!

At that very spot, I was moved, thinking that approximately 150 metres away from me laid the remains of one of the most honourable women in the world.  She was and will always be my idol - of whom my father had named me after, as I was given birth on Maulidurrasul, 12th Rabi'ul Awal.  This was the woman who stayed true to her husband at all times and believed in him (a prophet) when no one else did! May Allah provide me with the strength He presented her with.  

In Madinah, we walked to the Baqi' cemetery which wasn't far from Masjid An-Nabawi. Here, we were told of a hadith by Tirmidhi:

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever can manage to die in Madinah, let him die there, for I will intercede for whoever dies there.”


Upon returning home, I related the hadith to my children and how I long to die in one of the two holy lands. My youngest son (10) was quick to say that despite it being the most honourable place, he'd be very sad if he wasn't with me when I was on my death bed.  I coaxed him into believing that the ultimate is in His hands and we live only to seek His mercy and guidance. With that, he nodded, smiled and leaned to kiss me, an indication that he no longer resented (I hope!).

In retrospect, while it is ideal to die in the holy lands, we should mainly aim to die in husnul khotimah (a good ending). A useful supplication, perhaps, is the one read by Prophet Yusuf:
 
فَاطِرَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ أَنتَ وَلِيِّي فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالْآخِرَةِ ۖ تَوَفَّنِي مُسْلِمًا وَأَلْحِقْنِي بِالصَّالِحِينَ
(O Thou Creator of the heavens and the earth! )Thou art my Protector in this world and in the Hereafter. Take Thou my soul (at death) as one submitting to Thy will (as a Muslim), and unite me with the righteous.
(Yusuf: 101)

No comments: