Tuesday 2 September 2014

Hajj Reflection #32: Hajj is wukuf in Arafah!

Who can forget the sight of the tents in Arafah? From the outside, the white spread of tents with small pyramid peaks filled the plains. All the tents looked identical, hence the reminder from our guides to not go wandering lest getting lost. In the inside of the small pyramids, I was surprised to discover that they were lined with warm orange-printed cloth, which reminded me of my sister's patch quilts.
 

We arrived Arafah at midnight, on the night of 9th Dzulhijjah. As we were the last group of Malaysians to arrive the whole of Arafah, space was limited, and we were informed that TH was setting up another tent for us, the group of 203 pilgrims(affectionately known as 'Geng 203'). Meanwhile, we had to make do by squeezing into one tent filled with a sea of sleeping pilgrims. Yes, it reminded me of sardines in a tin! I was afraid I'd step on someone. Some of them shuffled to the side to make room for us.

It struck me then, how 'real' the acts and rituals of Hajj were. This was what Hajj was about - Would you pass the test of persevering the slight discomfort and share what limited space you have with people around you? Are you willing to 'rough it out'? Allahu akbar, it was an indescribable sensation. It was nothing like I had imagined or seen in pictures. Different but nothing unbearable or even negative. I counted my blessings, and in actual fact, was still absorbing the whole idea of already being in Arafah!

I found a spot near one of the opening slits (door), thus slipping in and out of the tent was eased. I marveled at the thick carpets that gave us adequate padding when resting, and served as proper lining against the sand and pebbles of the desert. I remember being awed at this simple, yet 'luxurious' arrangement, definitely absent during the days of our Prophet and sahabah.



These tents gave us shelter before the actual wukuf. We rested in the tents and we ate in the tents. In fact, we were tested when we had a shortage of food during lunch. How did people react when they were hungry and positioned in such cramped areas? Subhanallah, some pilgrims pulled out bread from their bags, while others shared their packets of chicken or beef floss to be eaten together. Alhamdulillah, no one starved.

This was the adventure of our life time. To be in the tents among the millions, and submit ourselves to the Almighty! O Allah, bring me back to the tents of Arafah!

No comments: