Monday 17 December 2012

Hajj Reflection #14: Covering the aurah properly



Hajj is supposed to make us better Muslims ♥ Before taking on the journey for this holy pilgrimage (hajj), we make preparations in various forms: financial, mental, physical and of course, spiritual. For most, the preparation begins years ahead.

For a start, most take up classes or courses offering on the theoretical and practical framework of hajj. I started mine with Tabung Haji in February 2012. I was blessed to get an ustaz who kept on reminding us on the areas of aurah which we women should abide to; at any time at all: either before, during or after hajj. And that includes everything other than the two hands (up to wrist) and the face (chin area is aurah).

So I was determined to start on early (or so I thought), even before my hajj. I purchased a few pairs of socks and sleeves. However, my imaan was too thin and frail. I made up lame excuses for no one other than my own self, such as a missing sock at times of need and 'it's too hot for sleeves!'  Pathetic, but true. Alhamdulillah, things changed from the moment I donned my ihram on the 23rd of October.

Realising the importance of keeping close attention to the covering of the aurah when in ihram, I held on to the whole concept close to heart. A woman's aurah is to be covered at all times - be it during solah or ihram, or in the presence of any ajnabi men (stranger or non-mahram). No make-up during ihram thus no make-up off ihram either! May Allah help me out on this...

اللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْهُ حِجًّا مَبْرُوْرًا وَسَعْيًا مَشْكوْرًا ، وَذَنْبًا مَغْفُوْرًا ، وَعَمَلاً صَالِحًا مَقْبُوْلاً ، وَتِجَارَةً لَنْ تَبُوْرَ يَا عَالِمَ مَا فِيْ الصُّدُوْرِ أَخْرِجْنِي يَا اللهُ مِنَ الظُّلُمَاتِ إِلَى النُّوْرِ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ مُوْجِبَاتِ رَحْمَتِكَ وَعَزَائِمَ مَغْفِرَتِكَ وَالسَّلاَمَةَ مِنْ كلِّ إِثْمٍ وَالْغَنِيْمَةَ مِنْ كُلِّ بِرٍ ، وَالْفَوْزَ بِالْجَنَّةِ وَالْنَجَاةَ مِنَ النَّارِ ، رَبِّ قَنِّعْنِي بِمَا رَزَقْتَنِي ، وَبَارِكْ لِي فِيْمَا أَعْطَيْتَنِي وَأَخْلِفْ عَلَى كلِّ غَائِبَةٍ لِيْ مِنْكَ بِخَيْرٍ.
O Allah! Render this Pilgrimage of mine acceptable and successful and a means of forgiveness for my sins. Bless me with honest dealings and a business where there is no loss. O Knower of the state of hearts! Drag me out of the darkness of sins into the light of good deeds. O Allah! I pray for the safe escape from every sin and make me virtuous and enable me to reap its advantages. Make me worthy of Paradise and protect me from Hellfire. O Allah! Grant me contentment for all You have blessed me with, Barakat (auspiciousness) for all that You have conferred on me. O Allah! Compensate me for every sin of mine.
 (Du'a read upon the fourth circumambulation/tawaf)

No comments: