Sunday 9 December 2012

Hajj Reflection #8: Supplications


Be prepared with your supplications. I am a conservative, this I shall not deny. Perhaps it roots from my upbringing and educational background. Thus during my hajj, I religiously followed the suggested supplications from the Hajj & Umrah guide book whereby specific supplications were read at different points of time, such as during each round of circumambulation (tawaf).

I appreciated this practice and strongly feel that it goes deeper than repeated zikr, "Allah, Allah", "SubhanAllah" or reading different surahs from juzuk 'Amma. Why? Because the suggested supplications are so detailed and will not compare to my own self-designed ones. Some are just spot on; the exact words you were looking for. For instance: "O Lord, make me one who is always appreciative of what you have bestowed unto me, please bless what you have awarded to me and replace what I have lost with something better from You."

SubhanAllah... Reading prepared scripts made my tears flow 90% of the time. I read the Arabic version, followed by the translations in BM. It didn't make me lose focus at all.  Everyone has their own preferences but I totally recommend this practice!

No comments: