Wednesday 5 December 2012

Hajj Reflection #4: Ukhuwah



In connection to the previous reflection, I must reaffirm that hajj promotes unity and brotherhood/ sisterhood. Look at how synchronized the pilgrims are during solah and how uniform they are during ihram. Despite differences in mazhabs, which detail the specific actions during solah for instance, I made friends with pilgrims from various countries such as Turkey, India, Indonesia, Arab and even Malaysia. It humbles me to learn how some of the Indians and Turks stay so far away from Masjidil Haram; forcing them to catch two buses before Subh towards Haram and return late in the evening, after Isya'. The Indons, on the other hand, lugged rice enough for 45 days, pots and dried food all the way from Indonesia.

In Masjidil Haram, an old lady once approached me before prayers, and started pointing to my small praying mat(I had borrowed it from my daughter), indicating that she wanted (to buy) it from me.  She went on to use sign language to explain that she had problems with her knees and perhaps, it limited her movement and trip to the shops. I was initially hesitant; thinking that it was my daughter's and she even had her name written on the label. However, I took pity on the old woman and gave it to her anyway, as I knew my daughter wouldn't mind. The old woman thanked me profusely, went away and came back with 3 Saudi Riyals. I shook my head and smiled at her. Her face lit up, and she put up her two hands, praying for me.

Now, wasn't that beautiful? We neither spoke in a language understood by each other but nonetheless, we communicated!

No comments: