Friday 7 December 2012

Hajj Reflection #6: A step into history


Knowing history helps us appreciate the sacrifices made by our prophets and companions. Imagine walking the streets where the prophet did the same, some 1440 years ago. Or walking through the different doors around Masjidil Haram such as Babul Fath, and being told the significant incidences associated with it. 

Or studying the site where the companions' houses were located around Masjidil Haram. Or even climbing up Jabal Rahmah, in Arafah, where Adam was reunited with Eve on earth. 

Or seeing Mount Thur in person, and believing how rocky and dangerously steep it is, yet not too rocky or steep for Asmak Abu Bakr (who was heavily pregnant) to climb all the way up to bring food for the Prophet and her father, Abu Bakr, who were in hiding from the Quraish.


The list goes on. Some stories I was familiar with, some others I have forgotten the details, while undeniably, some I have never heard of. When the stories were relayed, I tried to immerse myself in them. Sometimes, if well told, I felt goosebumps everywhere. At times, it brought tears to my eyes.

Learning history is priceless. It is similar to guarding a treasure left by the Prophet. It helps us strengthen our faith as the stories encompass the underlying significances or lessons to be learnt.

No comments: