Saturday 29 December 2012

Hajj Reflection #17: The gift of a smile



Smiling is sadaqah. Amazingly, my hajj experience has taught me how to smile more, and hopefully better. Well, I'm not specifying on the degree you arch your smile or anything like such. It goes on more to the act of smiling to others.

Initially, I must say that I did not know anyone in the group, other than a friend's friend who I looked out for a day prior to departure. As previously mentioned, I had chosen to go to the hajj courses organised by Tabung Haji in Kelana Jaya instead of the ones organised by the agency I was going with. Thus, I didn't know anyone from the courses I had gone to before.

So, on 23rd October, I was placed with a group of 202 other hujjaj/pilgrims who I was to hang around with for the rest of the month. I broke all ego and shyness, and attempted to be as friendly and helpful to others as I could. I discovered that the easiest way to make that work was actually by smiling. I don't care whether you are going to smile back to me, maam, but I will just do it anyway. Neither will I be offended if you don't return my smile, sis, for I am just going to smile all the same. And sir, I am smiling to you lillahi ta'ala, and not because I take a fancy to you. Hence, I smiled my way up the elevator, while queuing for food, while walking to the mosque or whenever I was waiting. I smiled to strangers, to cleaners, and to hujjaj from other packages or countries.

Once, while I was waiting for a friend in the hotel lobby, one of the attendants (of Pattani descendant) made a comment. He said, 'Sis, I can't help but notice that you are always smiling and seem very happy, from the beginning till this very day. You don't appear to have any worries or problems. Alhamdulillah...'

I chuckled. 'Why shouldn't I smile? I am very happy indeed and I am pleased to be here, chosen as His guest in this Holy land!'

In true essence, smiling reflected my feelings: I was happy and in gratitude to the Almighty for allowing me to be there, in the holy land, subhanAllah... It helps to be in good spirits because smiling can be really contagious! So when you make someone feel better, isn't that how it works out as a sadaqah? Spread the happiness by smiling!!

No comments: