Monday 24 December 2012

Hajj Reflections #16: Taharah vs Najasah



While Taharah (cleanliness) is undeniably preferred and sought after, Najasah (uncleanliness) is unfortunately what you'd get when there are people who lack hygiene awareness.

In the forty years of my life, never had I come across a dirtier toilet than the one in Mina. Grotesque, disgusting and nauseating! The floors were flooded with rubbish: cloth, soiled diapers, used pads, wrappers, tissues, empty water bottles and God-knows-what-else. The toilet bowls were brimming with all things najasah. In all doubt, Alhamdulillah I managed to find a clean cubicle, in which I signaled to the others to use.

I was basically traumatised after that visit to the loo. Even the thought of it can make me puke! Apparently, I was later informed that the toilets on the upper floor of the building were clean. However, I am sure there is a lesson to be learnt from that particular experience.

Our religion seeks us to be clean both physically and spiritually. We need to educate our ummah about the importance of cleanliness and how to go about making it happen! For a start, it must begin from home.

For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean.
(Al-Baqarah: 222)

May Allah help us in our struggle to become good servants...

No comments: